Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hobby Lobby and other stuff

hobbylobby.com is having a great deal today.  40% off your highest priced item and under $3 shipping.  They have even added fabric to their items you can order.  I ordered some batting...OK I admit I ordered 5 yards but it was a good deal...the shipping is much cheaper than me driving over there and fighting crowds tomorrow (they are closed on Sunday).  This deal is only good today though.  If your interested hop on over there and sign up for their emails cause they always send you a coupon. 

DH and I went to Home Depot the other day as well (yes Black Friday) to pick up some insulation for the chicken roof.  We went when the Iron Bowl was on and traffic really wasnt too bad actually.  We figured it was a good time to go because of the game.  I really didnt want to go because of all the crowds...people get nasty too.  I'm making most of my gifts this year and anything that I really want to get I'll get online. 

DH and I are building a little shelter for the chicks to get out of the weather.  The coop we have is really small and only for sleeping and laying eggs.  DH put up a tarp the other day since the wind was blowing and it was cold (in the 30's).  The last few nights we have had to bring in the waterers so they dont freeze.  Looks like it is going to be a cold winter here in Alabama.  We chopped up the pumpkin my friend gave me for the holidays and the chicks really liked the seeds but not so much the flesh of it.  DH was afraid it was going bad and we needed to cut it up right now before it molded...he's so funny.  I had to explain to him that our ancestors used to store such pumpkins over winter in their root cellars and it took a long time for them to mold.  He says that about everything which explains why we dont seem to have any snacks...hmmm.  You know they go moldy if they arent eaten right away :)

We had a quiet Thanksgiving.  DH had to work and I just cooked in the morning.  We had smoked turkey breast, homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, homemade stuffing and homemade sweet potato pie.  I made too much...so we have leftovers for the next week probably lol.  I'm going to cut up the meat and freeze it.  Then take the carcass and make broth from that and freeze the broth.  Nothing like homemade soup in the winter. 

Well I have to get back to work.  I'm trying to get completely caught up so I can take tomorrow off to help put up the new chicken fence.  I'll try to post pics of it.

Talk to ya later!

Denise

1 comment:

  1. We typically avoid Black Friday at all costs, but did run into a twon approx. 20 miles away to pick up feed for the chickens and turkeys and some items on sale( stocking stuffer stuff)

    Your Thanksgiving supper sounds wonderful and I know what you eman about the carcass and homemade noodle soup. That's one of my projects for today, to finish cutting off the turkey meat and throwing the carcass into a pot with some onions, celery, garlic and herbs to simmer all day on the back of the wood stove. Then there will be soup sometime this next week, whenever we find the time to make the noodles*wink* Until then we're enjoying turkey on homemade whole wheat rolls with all the trimming leftovers!

    Blessings for your new week,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from all the readers of this blog but have decided to close comments to anonymous users, sorry.