Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Here it is already Mother's Day and I didnt even post anything about my mom...bad me...hit me with a wet noodle :(

Anyway I have to say that I have the best mom.  She was there for us when me and my brother were growing up.  My dad was an over-the-road truck driver for most of his life so mom kind of took over both mom and dad roles for us.  Well except when we were really bad then it was "wait til your father gets home" which really meant wait til he gets home to spank you because you were so bad.  Sometimes she would forget to tell him anything though which was good.  We didnt get spanked too many times only when we really needed it and we turned out OK.  She also convinced my brother that she was psychic cause she always knew what we had gotten into during the day even when she couldnt see us.  Truth was we had very nosy neighbors lol.  They told on us can you believe that?  Man, couldnt get away with anything...lol. 

Mom isnt a fancy cook and sometimes we didnt have a lot of money but she always made enough for us to eat and we never went hungry.  I'm just starting to like speghetti again.  Too much growing up I guess.  She would make us monster cookies for Christmas, yum.  But the best thing she did was make spoon fudge.  (If she reads this she is probably dying from embarrassment).  It was supposed to be fudge just plain old fudge unfortunately my mom cant make plain old fudge.  For some reason it always would be runny so we would grab a plate and instant spoon fudge!  It was great!  The neighborhood kids wanted their moms to make them spoon fudge since we had it and gave them some.  Then mom started getting phone calls from their moms asking for the recipe for this "spoon fudge" that their kids wanted.  Dad thought it was hilarious.  She also made potato candy for Christmas.  Dont think that she only made things for Christmas though cause she makes an awesome alphabet salad and broccoli salad too.  And her marinated meatballs are to die for.

One thing mom always says "when they're gone, they're gone" when talking about cookies.  Tease her about that one...;)

Mom also worked some when we were growing up and I mean that she worked at a job outside of home cause she worked hard at home too.  She was a beautician, LPN, and waitress at different times during our growing up years.  She has also served as a councilwoman following in the footsteps of her mother who was a committewoman for many years.  She now is officially retired and so is my dad.  Actually she hasnt killed him yet...but there's still time yet. lol.  She used to have complete charge of the house and now that dad is home all the time that's changed. 

She taught me how to sew on a machine when I was 8, started a girl scout troup so I had something to do since my brother had boy scouts and when we were in high school actually started a basketball league for the local kids so we had something to do during the week.  She didnt get paid for any of this, she just did it because she loved us and Mom we really appreciate everything you ever did for us especially the spoon fudge! ;)

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who have human kids and animals too cause you are loved each and every day by these wonderful beings you take care of.

Talk to ya later!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all the readers of this blog but have decided to close comments to anonymous users, sorry.