Sunday, June 24, 2012

The best lemonade EVER!

I have to say that I am not a big fan of lemonade.  When I was growing up, my mom would make lemonade from Real Lemon and lots of sugar.  But I decided to make my hubby some lemonade this summer.  Now I used to use just regular lemons and sugar but since we have been trying to use as much local food unprocessed or very little processed, I decided to make lemonade with organic lemons and honey.  Wow what a difference!  I now love lemonade at least made this way.  Here is how I do it:

Honey Lemonade

3-4 organic lemons
1/4 cup raw local honey
Filtered water

Squeeze your lemons!  That kinda sounded naughty didn't it? LOL.  Take them out of the fridge and let them set for a half hour to warm up and roll them on the counter.  This gets more juice out of your lemon.  Cut them in half and squeeze them removing any seeds from the juice.  You can use a juicer if you want to but I just use my hands.  It gets the job done and my nails are so white now ;) though it does hurt if you have any cuts on your hands (ouch!)

You will need about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of juice depending upon how lemony you want it.  Pour it in your pitcher and add the honey and stir.  It will take a couple of minutes to dissolve the honey.  Then add your water up to the top of the pitcher.  Put it in the fridge to cool or if you are really thirsty add some ice cubes and drink up!

This is really good!  Now if it isn't sweet enough add more honey, Honey LOL.  If you really wanted to make it extra special, you could always freeze some of it into ice cubes and then your lemonade wouldn't be diluted.  You can always double and triple this recipe for any picnics this summer.  And since you haven't heated anything up, this will keep your kitchen cool and you haven't lost any of the nutrients from the honey.

Let me know if you try it out and if you have any additional tips to pass on.

Talk to ya later!

Denise

1 comment:

I love to hear from all the readers of this blog but have decided to close comments to anonymous users, sorry.